Sunday, March 21, 2010

Poem - barely shackled/ to this waking life

for P. Irelan

they had to get at your heart
so they cracked you open like a hammer
to the portland vase don't worry it can be
glued back together with hardly
a scratch

what are the alternatives anyways
you could die like generations did before
unmolested but the good news is
it wasn't raining the day they operated
and you don't remember much
before of after

they helped you walk
the treadmill keeps the coffin at bay
now after months you're going
report about those strange places
you traveled to in delirious whimsy
barely shackled
to this waking life

2 comments:

The Rambling Taoist said...

You sent me an email with an attachment awhile back. I downloaded it on my wife's icky computer and said computer mangled the pdf. Would you send it to me again, now that my computer is working again?

CM said...

I sent another copy -- hope you enjoy it.