Friday, March 04, 2011

Poem - On Cruise to Catalina

nearing we watched the boat go up waves
until i felt blind because the sun was so strong

i looked away ashamed and sensed the rise
of mother sea under my feet

the disturbed try idle thoughts
i think about what i choose to see in front of me

catalina's scrub hardness had sheep and goats
the mining there played out badly

the romantic part of me wishes to identify
this place w/ past but honesty urged me to come clean

scars show on the cliffs over smashing waves
the island was indifferent at best and worse angry

like dreams the ocean rolls on forever but it lifts me
a great wind sends regrets away

**

nearing we watched
i felt blind because the sun was so strong

i looked away ashamed
sensed the mother sea under my feet

catalina's scrub hardness
anything taken to it played out badly

i wished to identify
but honesty urged me to come clean

cliffs over smashing waves
indifferent at best and worse angry

the ocean rolls on forever
a great wind sends regrets away

----------

Southern California
March 2011

No comments: