Sunday, October 02, 2022

Detector Merchant Jungle

I bought the lie-detector from a merchant in the jungle. It was brand new, still in its box and shiny plastic wrappings. The box was a bit battered and stained, but it was oddly thrilling to hear that crinkling noise and the faint whiff of "new" when I unboxed it. It gleamed like a jewel under the swaying flickering single bulb light, on the rickety bamboo table. I took a deep breath and wiped the perspiration off my forehead, cheeks, and jowls. I avoided looking at myself in the small mirror, above which was a small crucifix. With the dim lighting, the mirror appeared to be a deep hole in the wall. 

"Bring the señor in." I said, almost to myself. "And a sturdy chair."

Abanto, sitting on the other side of the door jumped up, to obey.

I watched the swaying single light.

"Doctor, the señor is not here." said Abanto.

I looked at him, we looked at each other without expression.

In the room made of concrete blocks, the shackle and chain were gone. I tested the bars on the locked door, they were firm and beaded with humidity. 

How had he escaped? And now what would become of I, and Abanto?

No comments: