Friday, July 07, 2006

How I Ruined My Life

You buy bike racks for the roof of your car, and you swear you'll never do anything incredibly stupid with them. You watch for trees, low hanging eves, and other not so obvious dangers. You are, after all, a responsible adult who can handle these things. You'll never make the giant mistake of forgetting bikes are on the racks while driving into the garage. This will never happen. Then like a demented criminal fool who ruined the whole world, you ram your precious bikes into the roof of the house while parking in the garage. The world changes at that moment. Stepping from the vehicle, you feel like you have killed someone. There, look at that. You idiot. Meandering fool. Did the neighbors see? Oh keeeerist look at that! Why? You fall on the driveway and look up at the birdies. In one go I have killed my car, my house, the bikes, and bicycle racks.

3 comments:

Josh Maday said...

Awesome. Very tight control of voice and narrative here. Good stuff.

CM said...

And I really did it, too. It was amazing that the bikes didn't get busted, or the racks. The only thing that was worse for wear was the top of the garage.

Josh Maday said...

A sneeking suspicion told me that this was closely reflective of real life. I always have a tough time waiting for the door to go all the way up before pulling in; I've almost wiped the door out on a few occasions. Tricky ass things, they are.