Thursday, January 15, 2009

Should I Move to Iceland?

With windchill, it is -25 degrees, or even -35 degrees, otherwise, the thermometer is steady at -1. The day is brilliantly sunny, not a cloud in the sky. The snow is like sand, blowing off the rooftops in a crystalline spray, no birds out today. To cold for even the little birds, I wonder where they are. The car has trouble starting, I make sure the garage is sealed up tight when I get back, to conserve warmth. Now you can feel every nook or cranny in the house that leaks cold air, but the good news is the few leaky windows or doors are now sealed with blankets or towels. All in all, we're snug and content, watching TV reruns in bed and eating ice-cream, of all things. Tonight, -14, to -18 as a low, not counting the wind. I love it. Should I move to Iceland?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thank goodness you don't have to commute!

JH

CM said...

You got it! Multiple pile-ups last night, they shut part of I-80, before dawn, because it was too slippery to drive on. A freight train had 8 cars derail, because of the cold -- the switches stick. Right now we're cruising at -14 f, on an unbelievably beautiful, sunny morning, a fine blue sky. Not typical winter weather, cold wise, for Chicago.