Monday, June 20, 2011

Digging to China



C: "Where are you going?"

D: "I'm digging a hole!"

C: "Are you digging to China?"

D: "What's China?"

C: "I'm glad you asked. It's a country on the other side of the world. This is why we say euphemistically, when someone is engaged in an excavation, and they are a notably smaller person, they are "Digging a Hole to China". The orgin of the phrase is uncertain, though the great American writer & philosopher Thoreau used this phrase in the 1850s about a hole his neighbors were digging --"

D: "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? ARRRGH!"

C: "I'm sorry, would you like me to help?"

2 comments:

The Rambling Taoist said...

The dialog brought a big smile to my face. It reminded me of so many conversations I had as a child with my attorney father. He would try to explain the history or efficacy of an idea or concept; all I wanted was for him to throw the damn baseball back to me! :-D

CM said...

I'm fairly good at getting out of that 'adult explaining' frame of mind -- Danny is justifiably exasperated, but he has hope for me and he has seen marked improvement! I find that if I get down to his eye level/ height, this helps me -- rather than towering over him.