Friday, June 17, 2011

There's a Lot of Things I Can't do on Facebook

There's a lot of things I can't do on Facebook, I think I should be able to do. For example, I can't mark my birthday as being in the year 1807. I like the year 1807. I also like the year 1644, and I'd like to have a combined birthday of 1807 / 1644. And I'd like to have a little smiley faces beside it so it looks like this:

: - ) 1807 / 1644 : - )

Why can't I do this? It is this mean, narrow minded thinking that hems us all in.

In terms of my real age, like most folks over 25, I take a few years off of it. So if I'm 43, I tell people my age is 22 years old. And when I'm 55, I tell people I'm 22 years old. And when I'm 99 I tell people I'm 22 years old. You see how it goes. Now, if I made it to 200 years old, I'd tell people I was 43 years old. What the hell. When I'm that old, why not?

But Facebook won't account for this preference of mine. It should do this kind of age-adjusting automatically -- ask you what percent or year amount you'd like automatically subtracted (or added) from your real age. I'd call that the inflater/ deflater applet -- you could apply it freely to salary, weight, height, etc.

Oh well, I know that Facebook will be the perfect tool for when the time comes to round us all up and make us into Soylent Green, but I use Facebook anyways.

2 comments:

The Rambling Taoist said...

Don't you think it would be more fun to screw with people's minds by not keeping to any pattern at all? When you're 43, tell them you're 62 and then, when you turn 44, tell them you're only 17. Keep 'em guessing!

As to FaceBook itself, don't know what to tell you. My wife has a FB page or wall (or whatever in the heck you call it). Most of the messages on it are insipid -- maybe that's because most members of her family are that way! Her experience convinced me to stay away from it.

CM said...

Oooh -- having no patterns -- that is a sweet idea. Thanks so much for the input!

I've been submitting 'enhancement requests' to FB for things like: A special button just for me, and when I press it, it makes everyone on Facebook hear a loud screaming noise, and being able to have combined bithdates (my actual one, and my favorite one).

They have not gotten back to me yet.