Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Battle of the Nile

This morning, Chung Tzu, Horatio Nelson, and I are sitting in a cafe. It is clear, sunny, and cold. Ching Tzu orders a latte, 1st Viscount Nelson orders a doubel-shot of espresso, and I have a cappuccino. We're used to one another, so neither Ching Tzu, nor the Vice-Admiral say anything about me ordering a cappuccino.

"Did I tell you about Brueys?" says Baron Nelson out of the blue, while doodling in a napkin.

"The French Admiral? At the Battle of the Nile?" says I, trying not to be burned by my drink.

"Some call it the Battle of Aboukir Bay." mentioned Chung Tzu.

"A trifle detail, but an important one, yes." says Captain Nelson, brightening, and looking at Chung Tzu with his good eye.

"Yes, you beat him, and his fleet." I reply. Ching Tzu and Nelson don't hear me.

"Captain Thomas Foley displayed initiative, slipped through the gap in the line and a few others followed. So you could attack on both sides." mentions Chung Tzu, as if talking about clouds.

"And it was bonnie well done!" exclaims Nelson, bouncing up and down. With his face shining like that, and him so pleased, we didn't say anymore about the Battle of the Nile. Everybody likes to be around Horatio Nelson, especially when he's happy.

No comments: