Sunday, February 24, 2008

Tomorrow It Will Snow

Tomorrow it will snow, and I look forward to that. I've been told we've had a terrible winter, this year. This being my first winter in the Midwest, I have found it to be oddly beguiling. My only complaint is dealing with ice, once it gets started, it is hard to clean up. But who can complain about snow, twirling falling flakes of quiet snow? A heavy falling blanket of snow, erasing details, falling over houses and streets? You go to sleep on a bitterly cold black night, with the naked tree branches swaying & scraping -- and in the morning, by breakfast time, the entire city has been muted in an expanse of white. The world has less of an edge, boundaries erased, and still the fine particles of snow fall less some, more so. Then the people come out to damn the snow. Everyone, except me.

No comments: