Thursday, March 26, 2009

Daniel Zen

Daniel is 2. He plays in the yard with an old dirty sock.

"I like your old sock." I say.

"No." says Daniel. But he means yes, he appreciates the sock, too.

Later, we are in the kitchen.

"Would you like something to eat, Daniel?"

"No." says Daniel. But by saying no, he means yes, he would like something to eat.

At about 2 o'clock, Daniel looks tired.

"Daniel, would you like to take a nap?"

"No!" yells Daniel. And this time, he really, absolutely, means NO.

2 comments:

The Rambling Taoist said...

My wife & I have chosen not to have children. One of the reasons for me is that I tend not to understand the very young ones very well. However, I suppose if the child were mine, maybe I might understand him or her better?

CM said...

Yes!

Or, as Daniel would say, "No!"