Thursday, March 09, 2006

Art Installations & Ready Mades

Recently I had a couple of ideas for art installations. I want to get traffic cones and fill the municipal gallery with cones so you can't walk in the gallery. Reminiscent of an installation in the 1970s in NY where an artist filled a gallery full of dirt. I don't know the name of the artist, but I thought it was Robert Smithson. It would be something he would do. I also want to recreate a sculpture I created from stacking telephone book pages in a series of layers, and then pushing the layers together, creating a "soufflé" sculpture of the pages. I did this while I was in college, and it was fantastic. Lately, everywhere I look I see ready mades begging to be entered in shows and galleries. There's a great ready made down the street from our studio in the form of a menu whiteboard at the mexican restaurant. I think I'll go down and buy it for twenty bucks and enter it in the next open show at the municipal gallery.

No comments: